Текущее время: 28 мар 2024, 14:53

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа [ Летнее время ]

up a walk and a two-run 
Автор Сообщение
Сообщение up a walk and a two-run
Throughout Enrique Hernandez's nine-pitch battle with Price Eric Sogard Jersey , Machado appeared to be relaying signs and/or location to Hernandez through an exaggerated series of motions.As Price was coming set, Machado, leading off from second, would place his hands on his hips. Then, just before each pitch, Machado would begin a series of motions: touching his helmet with either his right or left hand, sometimes then touching or pulling thescript on his jersey afterward and other times grabbing or touching the thigh/groin area of his pants.As the at-bat unfolded, LeVangie remained in the dugout while Price fell behind Hernandez 2-1 and then 3-2 before鈥攆ollowing three foul balls鈥攖hrowing a 93 mph fastball that Hernandez swung through for strike three."Was it a little exaggerated? Yeah, maybe, but I saw the whole thing," LeVangie said of Machado's gyrations. "I had told [Boston manager] Alex [Cora] I wanted to go [to the mound] before the Puig at-bat because I wanted to talk about some things."But when a guy gets a big punchout in that situation and a coach comes out to take a visit...I didn't want to f--k with the momentum there because David got a huge strikeout."Plus, catcher Christian Vazquez had taken a mound visit already in the inning, trotting out for a chat with Price after Machado's base hit to put two runners aboard with none out. LeVangie was worried about slowing Price after the lefty's good start to the game, so he stayed put.Then, there were two out and runners on first and second, and the score was 1-1.From second, Machado gestured again. Puig swung at the first pitch he saw, a 93 mph fastball, knocking an RBI single into center to give the Dodgers their first鈥攁nd only鈥攍ead of the series. It was Machado who scored."David makes a good pitch on Puig,"LeVangiesaid."He jams him. [Puig] gets a flare. Then I gotta go out. But I talked to him with some small things after that Keon Broxton Jersey , and he got out of that inning."I had a clear point I wanted to [make] after that at-bat because I saw Manny the entire time. I knew what he was doing."Charles Krupa/Associated PressAngry with himself because he felt his decision to delay the visit cost the Red Sox, LeVangie went out after Puig's RBI single to talk with Price and Vazquez, clearly to discuss what was occurring behind Price at second base and to change signs."We had a conversation," LeVangie said. "I don't want to get into the depths of it, but I brought up exactly what you're talking about."I let it get in my way鈥攂ecause of the strikeout, I didn't go out there [earlier]. I was so pissed that I didn't."Price had not allowed a hit in the first three innings of Game 2, and after he escaped the fourth, he threw two more hitless frames. While it is unclear whether Price knew what was occurring behind him during the Hernandez and Puig at-bats in the fourth, LeVangie was doing his best to properly time his interruption."I just told him, 'Hear me out. I know this is not the right time, but hear me out,'" LeVangie said.Cora declined comment to B/R on Thursday at Dodger Stadium when asked about the dugout conversation with LeVangie in the moment and for his take on the episode overall."I don't have a take," Cora said following an off-day media briefing.Vazquez, Price and Machado were not available for comment because neither team worked out at Dodger Stadium following all-day travel.Elise Amendola/Associated PressStealing signs has been around practically since baseball was invented鈥攐r, as MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred said Wednesday in Boston, "It's been a part of our game since Lassie was a puppy."It's become a hot topic this October because of various accusations of video shenanigans in the digital age that would violate baseball rules if true and because so much video scouting leaves pitchers vulnerable to tipping their pitches and offering hitters strong clues as to what is coming. Boston closer Craig Kimbrel has had a rough October stretchbecause of the latter.Machado, meanwhile, has been in the headlines after being called a "dirty player" by Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Christian Yelich during the NLCS and after he told Fox Sports' Ken Rosenthal that hustling isn't "my cup of tea" and that he is not "Johnny Hustle" after being called out for not running hard on various plays this season.Being caught apparently relaying signs to Dodgers hitters from second base is nowhere close to the dirty-player charges, LeVangie emphasized."Oh, it's clean http://www.brewersfanproshop.com/authentic-zach-davies-jersey ," the pitching coach said. "It's baseball. If you're not hiding your stuff with a runner on second base and you're giving them a free view, that's on you, the pitcher and the catcher. It's up to the pitcher and catcher to manage that and to us to oversee it and make sure we're going about it the right way."We see this all the time. Not just him, with everyone. We are very respectful of all this, and it's a big part of who we are and what we try to manage. As far as our pitching staff, we want to make sure we control those guys at second base and [that] they're not stealing our signs. We're changing our signs constantly, every pitch. Typically, every one of our pitchers will change every pitch."If you're wondering why the average time of a postseason game is stretching to nearly four hours, this is one small example. You can never be too careful.From second base the other night, though, because Machado was almost flamboyant in what he appeared to be doing, it didn't take a professional detective to sniff out that one.Asked whether he had seen anything as obvious recently, LeVangie chuckled and said "yes.""I've seen worse in Little League a few years ago," he said. "It was a Little League World Series game I saw on television. It was extremely obvious." Scott Miller covers Major League Baseball as a national columnist for Bleacher Report. Follow Scotton Twitterand talk baseball. CHICAGO (AP) — Anthony Rizzo thought he’d caught the foul ball. Many others at Wrigley Field, meanwhile, thought about Steve Bartman.Despite a play that reminded Cubs fans of what went wrong many years ago, Chicago wound up clinching its fourth straight postseason appearance and holding its narrow lead in the NL Central with a 7-6 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates in 10 innings Wednesday night.No one was in a partying mood inside the Cubs’ clubhouse, however. The champagne will have to wait.“We’re not taking this for granted,” said Albert Almora Jr., who delivered a game-ending single. “We’re super pumped that we’re in the playoffs Brent Suter Jersey , but the job’s not done. We want to take this division and move forward with the best record in the NL.”The Cubs were assured a playoff slot earlier in the evening when Milwaukee beat St. Louis. The Brewers, who also sealed a postseason berth, are a half-game behind Chicago — one of them will win the division, the other will play in the NL wild-card game next Tuesday.Almora’s RBI single with two outs came after the Pirates tied it in the ninth, helped when a fan at cost Rizzo a chance to catch a foul pop.Pittsburgh made it 6-all in the ninth on a two-out, two-run double by Starling Marte. Pinch-hitter Francisco Cervelli keyed the rally with a double, moments he lofted a foul pop along the first base side. Rizzo reached into the stands and around the protective net, but the Chicago first baseman came up empty when a fan stuck his hands up and made the grab.Rizzo initially figured he’d nabbed the ball, only to see his mitt was empty. Rizzo punched his glove as he returned to his spot, but didn’t criticize the man who beat him to the ball.“I thought I caught it,” Rizzo said. “It’s just one of those weird plays.”No interference was called because fans have a right to ball that reach the seats — Rizzo leaned in, trying to make the play.In Game 6 of the 2003 NL Championship Series against the Marlins, the Cubs seemed to be on their way to clinching a long-awaited World Series appearance when, holding a 3-0 lead in the eighth inning, left fielder Moises Alou tried to catch a foul ball that reached the stands. Bartman, a Cubs fan, reached out and deflected the ball before it got to Alou’s glove.The Marlins went on to score eight runs in the inning, won the game and then won Game 7 the next day to take the NL pennant.This time, the Cubs eventually held on.Ian Happ led off the 10th with a walk and was replaced by pinch-runner Terrance Gore. Mike Freeman’s sacrifice moved up Gore, and he took third on a groundout. Almora grounded a single to left on an 0-2 pitch from Richard Rodriguez (4-3).“When you win a tough game like that Boone Logan Jersey , you’ve got to give your guys a lot of credit for sticking around and not folding the tents,” manager Joe Maddon said.Jason Heyward homered and drove in three runs for the Cubs. Javier Baez singled for his NL-leading 111th RBI as the Cubs won after blowing a five-run lead. Star third baseman Kris Bryant didn’t play because of a bruised left wrist.Jose Osuna and Corey Dickerson homered for Pittsburgh.Brandon Kintzler (3-3) got the only batter he faced in the top of the 10th to hit into a double play.The Cubs led by five and still took a 6-2 lead into the eighth behind solid pitching from Jose Quintana and Jesse Chavez, but the rest of the relievers struggled.“We stayed hunting,” Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. “We continued to play.”Carl Edwards Jr. started the eighth, but was yanked after walking two of the three batters he faced. After retiring the first batter he faced, Steve Cishek gave up a walk and a two-run single to Elias Diaz to make it 6-4. Following an intentional walk to load the bases, Cishek got Pablo Reyes to ground out to end the threat.Chicago wasn’t as fortunate in the ninth.With a runner on first and one out, pinch-hitter Francisco Cervelli doubled off the wall in right. Justin Wilson got Adam Frazier on a popup and appeared on the verge of getting out of it, but Marte hit a liner that hit off first baseman Anthony Rizzo’s glove and rolled down the line for a tying double.Some of the players believed it was fitting that the game on a clinching night was such a struggle.“I think this year there’s been more peaks and valleys than last year,” Rizzo said. “It’s not been smooth sailing and we figure out ways to win as a team.”BREAKTHROUGHThe Cubs had managed a total of five runs in their last six games against the Pirates, including one run in the first two games of the series. But starter Ivan Nova couldn’t extend Pittsburgh’s pitching dominance. He was roughed up for six runs (five earned) on eight hits in four innings.TRAINER’S ROOMPirates: RHP Edgar Santana (elbow) will undergo Tommy John surgery soon and is expected to miss the entire 2019 season. The 26-year-old Santana is 3-4 with a 3.26 ERA in 69 games this season.Cubs: 3B Bryant sat out a day after being hit in the wrist by a pitch, but Maddon is optimistic the injury won’t linger. “It’s sore, like you would have anticipated,” Maddon said. “But, he thought, the swelling wasn’t as heavy as we anticipated.”UP NEXTCubs ace LHP Jon Lester (17-6, 3.43 ERA) faces RHP Trevor Williams (14-9, 3.04) in the finale of the four-game series Thursday night. Lester is 5-1 with a 1.96 ERA in his last seven starts, while Williams has allowed a total of eight earned runs in his last 12 starts for an ERA of 1.00 during that span.

18 янв 2019, 13:02

Часовой пояс: UTC + 3 часа [ Летнее время ]